How to relieve bloating naturally
Bloating is a build up of gas or air that can make your belly feel swollen, heavy and uncomfortable.
Most people suffer from bloating occasionally after a big meal but for others it’s an everyday occurrence that can negatively impact their life.
In this article I’ve compiled a list of 10 natural remedies that can help to reduce abdominal bloating and gas.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read the disclosure for more info.
What causes bloating?
The most common causes of bloating are:
- Lactose or gluten intolerance
- Dysbiosis – overgrowth of bad bacteria in the gut
- Foods like beans, onions, broccoli and cabbage
- Swallowing air
- High fat meals
- Overeating or eating too fast
- Soda and beer
Signs of Abdominal Bloating
- Protruding belly
- Stomach pain or discomfort
- Excessive flatulence
- Frequent burping 
Tips for beating the bloat
- Eat smaller meals
- Chew food well and don’t talk while chewing – put your fork down in between bites
- Avoid eating fruit after a protein rich meal – meat takes a lot longer to digest than fruit so the fruit ends up fermenting and causing gas
- Pay attention how your body reacts to dairy and wheat products – if you feel bloated after eating wheat or dairy, you may need to reduce your intake or remove these foods from your diet
- Reduce fluids with meals – water and other drinks dilute digestive juices and slow down digestion
- Avoid drinking soda and beer
- Avoid gum – chewing gum can lead to swallowing air, which increases bloating
- Ensure you’re getting enough fiber, water and exercise to reduce constipation
Natural remedies for abdominal bloating
Peppermint tea has antispasmodic and relaxant properties that can help to relieve gas, cramping and spasms.
Chamomile tea improves digestion and soothes and relaxes the digestive tract.
Ginger helps to relieve indigestion, expel gas, improve gastric emptying and relieve stomach cramps.
Fennel seeds are commonly eaten after meals in India to assist with digestion.
They’re also available in capsule form and are helpful for reducing cramping, gas and bloating.
Apple Cider Vinegar in water before meals can help to improve stomach acidity and improve digestion.
Aloe Vera is soothing and has mild laxative effects, which can be helpful in treating constipation. Aloe Vera is also effective for reducing flatulence.
Activated Charcoal absorbs excess gas in the digestive system and reduces bloating.
Digestive enzymes help the digestive system to break down and absorb foods more efficiently.
Probiotic supplements can help to balance the good and bad bacteria in the gut and reduce bloating.
Cinnamon stimulates digestion and helps to reduce indigestion, gas and stomach cramps.
Gaia Herbs Gas and Bloating Relief is fast-acting and helps to reduce gas and bloating naturally.
It contains activated charcoal along with herbs and essential oils including Fennel seed, Cumin seed, Chamomile, Star Anise seed, Lemon Balm seed, Fennel seed essential oil, Peppermint essential oil and Sweet Marjoram essential oil.
I hope these tips will help you to eliminate bloating naturally.
It’s a good idea to discuss any supplements or herbal remedies for bloating with your healthcare provider because some herbs and natural supplements can interact with prescription medications.